Hackspace Modification Proposal

Dear all

A proposal suggesting ways to alter the current plan of the Hackspace has been raised by a few members. Please take time to read our proposal and raise any concerns or ideas you may have. We feel that these changes will be more beneficial to the space as a whole.

Currently a set of A0 plot plans have been pinned to the wall at the Hackspace and a few hard copies of the will be left in the space for members to read.

Proposal:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9DiGrglqGIeZzFmNDVWR2xVMTI3TUprajJiQW5oOWhJQ21n

Plot plan PDFs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lUX8mUWBc_QVRfVxiAnLQP0_jxEYuMd9

Cheers

Mark

As a suggestion

1. move the welding room into the area currently designated for the accessible toilet
    we have ventilation / hole in the wall in the cnc room which is right next door to that area
  2. move the accessible toilet to the green room (re-do that up somehow) with part of the green room being the new metal area (no welding)
    and the other part just being a bigger toilet area

That would compensate for the lack 30% of space from the metal area and might require less work since you don’t have to strip out all the plasterboard in the green room.
Loosing overall space in that area might be a problem if we decide to get a metal mill (such as a bridgeport)
Compared to woody dusty which I think is oversided but probably used less due to it being a tip.

in the short term we could do welding in the cnc room since that will have extraction setup in the next week or two (although it does lack space due to tables).
I don’t think we need a separate area for grinding since folks have just been grinding in the general metal area anyway or we could do that in welding.
but welding definitely needs to be separate

For the class room I think there’s an open drain pipe in there at the moment that might need to be sealed or used for the proposed classroom toilet
I think that’s where the mould on the ceiling might be coming from. so whichever option we go for that’s one thing to add to the list to be looked at

If we do decide to move the metal area into the wood / classroom area
then I’d like to see that area fully done up / painted etc before anything was moved there from the metal area
otherwise it may end up becoming just a larger mess / being much worse than the current setup.
We’ve spent a fair bit of time trying to get it looking reasonable in the current place so I wouldn’t want to see it moved some place else if it’s going to end up looking like a tip after the move
such as the current state of the woody dusty area. (especially if it’s full of mould)

Given the state of the woody dusty area I think folks have been using the metal area as a sort of general work area because it’s much more tidy and sorted out
if it ends up in a similar state to current woody dusty I wouldn’t be very happy

Personally I get the feeling the amount of work involved with the original proposal might be a bit too much
since there hasn’t been that many of us (outside of hack the space days) that have been putting up walls / electrics etc.
So reducing the amount of work needed is probably a important point

Many Thanks
Richard

as another thought, maybe instead of the green room
put another wall in the woody dusty area at the far end and turn that into the accessible toilet instead
since I feel woody dusty is too big currently and that might help balance things out

just to add some additional points for consideration

Additional Tools

one of the things we may be looking into later on for the metal area are some tools including

• Bridgeport (or equivalent metal mill)
  • Surface grinder
  • Metal shaper (I’m hoping I might get around to build one from one of the ginergy books)

This is going to take up additional space, we nearly got a shaper donated to us upstairs but lacked the room for it.

3 Phase Power

Another point is 3 phase, currently the metal area is fairly close to a point where we can draw 3 phase from (back of the craft area), further away in the classroom area may require cable that’s expensive.
So far we only have one 3 phase tool (one of the welders) and that has a fault with it’s instrumentation transformer as far as we can tell.
But keeping close to the 3 phase to avoid long cable runs I think is a good thing.

Welding Ventilation

Some of us have also looked into ventilation for welding, the idea that welding only creates ozone is a bit of a myth unfortunately especially with stick welding which has flux in the sticks.
Running a pipe across should be fairly straight forward.

For PPE typically I’m planning on using for myself

Another thought is if we try smelting in that room that would definitely require ventilation (probably a couple of other things as well).