From: “Fair Use Building And Research Labs” general@fubarlabs.com
Date: 12 Feb 2010 19:06
Subject: [hackerspaces] March Madness Challenge
To: discuss@lists.hackerspaces.org

What’s FUBAR Labs http://fubarlabs.com? We’re your neighborhood
recently-started New Jersey based
hackerspace. This is a challenge we’re giving to all of our members,
and local hackerspaces for a fun productive March… Here’s the note I sent
out to our members http://fubarlabs.com/2010/02/march-madness-challenge/:

I hereby challenge all of you.

The challenge?

One program. Every. Day.

For all of March.

The Language? Any. I don’t care if you use a magnetic needle to flip
bits on a hard drive. The Platform? Everything – hell if you can get
your Dog to say hello world it’ll count.

The rules:

  1. You need to write one program, every day. Duh. Any language. You
    can not duplicate functionality. This means a Hello World in Java is
    fine, but don’t go and make a Hello World in Python afterward.
  2. You need to post the code online. If it’s an embedded project, post
    a picture/video of it working. Post it online on your hackerspace site
    or on a personal blog! Share it with the world. Our code will be going up
    on http://fubarlabs.com
  3. Deadlines for other hackerspaces doesn’t matter that much, but try
    to post your stuff before midnight to count as “for that day”.

That’s it for rules, but… challenge yourself. The “complexity” of
the code is difficult to judge. There is no rule saying you can’t just
be clever with LEDs every day. But do something new, challenge
yourself. There’s no way to regulate this.

Who’s gonna take this on with me?

Let’s roll,

Keith Chester

Discuss mailing list
Discuss@lists.hackerspaces.org

we could probably do it as a group easily enough.On 12 February 2010 21:13, Jon Spriggs jon@spriggs.org.uk wrote:

Does anyone fancy doing something like this? Maybe not a project a day, but
perhaps a project a week?

If there’s anyone who can’t already program on the list in at least one
language, then I’d be happy to provide a few sessions on the basics of shell
script (Windows and Linux), AutoHotKey, PHP and Java at one of our
forthcoming sessions.

I can provide a subversion repository, per-person, per-project or we could
work on something between the whole hackspace - perhaps we can talk through
our programs at the meetings following these weeks?

What do people think?

Jon ““The Nice Guy”” Spriggs LPIC-1 Certified
This message was sent from my mobile device. Please excuse any top posting
and typos that may occur as a result.

:

[...]

I’ll contribute a few programs - I can do Java, C, python, perl and a
few assemblers. I’ll come along to the next meeting and we can have a
chat about it then.

JimOn 12 Feb, 21:13, Jon Spriggs j...@spriggs.org.uk wrote:

[...]

So, March Madness Day 1 is Monday, who wants it?

-BobOn 12 February 2010 22:11, JimM jim-googleapps@mode7.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Disc…@lists.hackerspaces.orghttp://
lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss

"HACMan" group.
hacman+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comhacman%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

I’ve got one program ready and I’m working on a second now. I hope
it’s not outside the spirit of the challenge to write them a few days
ahead, otherwise I’m a bit stuck.

My first program is just one short python file and could just be
posted in an email - other stuff could be longer so I might link to an
archive on my website or commit it to svn if we have a server.

On 12 February 2010 22:11, JimM jim-googlea...@mode7.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Hey, we have space sorted for the project!

Head over to the wiki page( http://hacman.org.uk/wiki/index.php/March_Madness
) for more info! Not so sure on programming in advance, will wait for
other opinions though. Details for the SVN are on the wiki page (or
will be shortly if they arent already).On Feb 27, 11:56 pm, JimM jim-googlea...@mode7.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Ideally, all code for the March Madness should be contributed to the
Subversion Repo at SVN http://svn.hacman.org.uk/ - contact me, parag0n
or Tom for the authentication details for the repo.

I think that as long as it’s only a single day’s worth of work, it
doesn’t particularly matter if the code is written in advance.

All the best,
Jon “The Nice Guy” Spriggs LPIC-1 CertifiedOn Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Tom Bloor tom.bloor@googlemail.com wrote:

[...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “HACMan” group.

So, what programs are people planning / working on? My list is as follows:

  • Habari Plugin to add URL redirection for external sites (to add
    bit.lytype functionality to the hacman site)
  • AVR based RGB LED sphere
  • Inventory label generator for use at madlab, colour codes, text & QR
    code

-BobOn 28 February 2010 01:29, Jon Spriggs jon@spriggs.org.uk wrote:

[...]

I didn’t have anything nearly so useful planned - I’d planned to do
some simple demos of various languages and stuff not much more
involved than Hello World but done in some odd ways.

On my list at the moment is:

  • Python string input / manipulation demo
  • Bash script to generate music with sox
  • A simple game using PyGame
  • Simple Java networking code demo
  • Something in an unconvential language like Inform or an unusual
    machine like Conway’s life
  • USB LED unit for displaying weather conditions

Happy to take the first day if no-one else wants it

Jim

Feel free to take the first day! Especially as I dont think anyone else has
anything planned for it either heh. On that note, anyone for day 2? think I
might take wednesday (day 3).On 28 February 2010 19:14, JimM jim-googleapps@mode7.co.uk wrote:

I didn’t have anything nearly so useful planned - I’d planned to do
some simple demos of various languages and stuff not much more
involved than Hello World but done in some odd ways.

On my list at the moment is:

  • Python string input / manipulation demo
  • Bash script to generate music with sox
  • A simple game using PyGame
  • Simple Java networking code demo
  • Something in an unconvential language like Inform or an unusual
    machine like Conway’s life
  • USB LED unit for displaying weather conditions

Happy to take the first day if no-one else wants it

Jim

"HACMan" group.
hacman+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comhacman%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

Thomas C. Bloor Mob: (+44) 07905646892
tom.bloor@googlemail.com or tom@bloorfamily.net
Homepage: http://tom.bloorfamily.net

I’ll take day 2 if nobody else wants?

I’ve been thinking of doing a PHP script to convert map coordinates into A-Z page & grid coords. It’ll have to be London though, 'cos the Manchester A-Z layout is all over the place.

I have a few other ideas as well. Also, I’m thinking of doing stuff in odd languages, just to get a good spread!

-PaulDate: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:27:48 +0000
Subject: Re: [HACMan] Re: Fwd: [hackerspaces] March Madness Challenge
From: tom.bloor@googlemail.com
To: hacman@googlegroups.com

Feel free to take the first day! Especially as I dont think anyone else has anything planned for it either heh. On that note, anyone for day 2? think I might take wednesday (day 3).

Ok, I’ve started work on my program (brand new one, not one I started
over the weekend) - can someone send me details for the SVN server so
I can submit it? If it’s easier, I can jump onto the IRC channel and
get it there.

Jim

Jim,
Sent through the details in an off-list email.
Have Fun!

Paul,
I think Jon has tuesday, not sure if he’s started yet, maybe talk to him
about switching?

The schedule is on the page at http://hacman.org.uk/mm

-BobOn 1 March 2010 11:00, JimM jim-googleapps@mode7.co.uk wrote:

Ok, I’ve started work on my program (brand new one, not one I started
over the weekend) - can someone send me details for the SVN server so
I can submit it? If it’s easier, I can jump onto the IRC channel and
get it there.

Jim

"HACMan" group.
hacman+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comhacman%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

No probs. I’ve got day 5Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:16:37 +0000
From: parag0n@ivixor.net
To: hacman@googlegroups.com

Jim,Sent through the details in an off-list email.Have Fun!
Paul,I think Jon has tuesday, not sure if he’s started yet, maybe talk to him about switching?

The schedule is on the page at http://hacman.org.uk/mm
-Bob

Day 1 done!

http://hacman.org.uk/wiki/index.php/March_Madness/Day_1

Most of it was done on the train to and from work. It’s pretty basic,
but it shows off what you can knock together with PyGame fairly
quickly. Hope someone can get it running and have a bit of a hack with
it.

Jim

Well done!

I must say, you’ve set the bar quite high to start with! I thought someone might do “Hello world” or something! :smiley:

-Paul

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:25:27 -0800
From: jim-googleapps@mode7.co.uk
To: hacman@googlegroups.com

Day 1 done!

http://hacman.org.uk/wiki/index.php/March_Madness/Day_1

Most of it was done on the train to and from work. It’s pretty basic,
but it shows off what you can knock together with PyGame fairly
quickly. Hope someone can get it running and have a bit of a hack with
it.

Jim

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “HACMan” group.

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

Must agree with Paul, you’ve set the bar damn high. I dont envy Jon,
following your program! Although im next after that… might have a harder

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:25:27 -0800
From: jim-googleapps@mode7.co.uk
To: hacman@googlegroups.com

Do you have a story that started on Hotmail? Tell us nowhttp://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

"HACMan" group.
hacman+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comhacman%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

Thomas C. Bloor Mob: (+44) 07905646892
tom.bloor@googlemail.com or tom@bloorfamily.net
Homepage: http://tom.bloorfamily.net

Just got it running on my eeepc, its pretty awesome, you’ve set the bar high
for the rest of us!

then i played and remembered how rubbish i am at asteroids!

-BobOn 1 March 2010 23:57, Thomas Bloor tom.bloor@googlemail.com wrote:

Must agree with Paul, you’ve set the bar damn high. I dont envy Jon,
following your program! Although im next after that… might have a harder
look at that Brainf**k language… :smiley:

Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:25:27 -0800
From: jim-googleapps@mode7.co.uk
To: hacman@googlegroups.com

Day 1 done!

http://hacman.org.uk/wiki/index.php/March_Madness/Day_1

Most of it was done on the train to and from work. It’s pretty basic,
but it shows off what you can knock together with PyGame fairly
quickly. Hope someone can get it running and have a bit of a hack with
it.

Jim

Groups “HACMan” group.
[...]

Oops, I didn’t want to turn this into a competition - I have been playing
with pygame for a long time so this sort of thing does come fairly easily to
me. I’m going to try a language I’ve not programmed in before for the next
one. I’m glad you liked it though.

Thomas, I’d be very interested to see something in Brainf**k - I love
nonconventional programming.

Added a little post to the blog about it, and a screenshot. To install
pygame in ubuntu, you have to:

$> sudo apt-get install python-pygame