tl;dr: plantspace + snackspace + relaxspace, in the front room.
I’d like to suggest using this space to make a nice relaxing indoor garden area, and combine the not-directly-making areas of the space nicely.
In future open days, we could use this as the main entrance, meaning people’s first impression of the space is that its a nice place to be
Light and airy. White walls, very light blue ceiling. Astroturf carpet (?). Paint a river on the floor Slightly more lighting than other parts of the space, ideally LED panels in a daylight spectrum.
Turn the entire back wall into the plantspace area
- automated grow lamps + watering system
- wall-hung planters
- a shallow table area along the entire wall, for potting and pottering
- guttering along the back of the table to catch any water drips from above
IIRC this wall already has water nearby, as it is the wall which we removed the urinal etc from before moving in
We set up seating and tables in the middle of the room using picnic tables or park benches. We can likely acquire these for free with a bit of hunting freecycle. Add power sockets to these tables for laptop / phone charging use. Try to keep a few end-tables accessible for wheelchair users
Build out the snackspace area properly
- kitchen worktop + appliances set up so people can use them
- snackspace purchaseables moved into plastic boxes and shelved up nicely
- a sink with drainage - this is one of the few bits of the space with easy water + drainage access!
- wall-hung kitchen cupboards for snackspace, tea / coffee etc, mugs
- hotglue on driftwood and shells because why not
Over a couple of weekends before the end of the year. First weekend could coincide with the 5th nov, when the space clearout is happening.
Clear out all the shit. Clean all the walls and floor. Paint the ceiling, walls and bits of the floor that’ll be exposed (assuming we can get astroturf, whole floor if not)
Set up snackspace worktop, hang wall cupboard and initial install of basic plantspace bits (trellis + bench). Collect and repair any park benches / picnic tables we’ve acquired, paint if needed, put in place.
From the list of things due for destruction, we could probably use:
- all the kitchen bits from the previous spaces
- the f*cking driftwood
- doors and timber for building out furniture - the doors might work for snackspace worktop
- ikea square thing - wallmounted in snackspace
(this will need checking and updating properly, no idea if all of these are viable for reuse)