Laser maintenance team
I write on behalf of the laser maintenance team.
We would like to propose a new laser cutter for the space. Due to the cost, we are happy to part finance and part pledge drive for this.
The current laser is many years old now. In the time I’ve been a member, 6 years, it’s had only a new tube and some new bearings. The hardware and software is out of date, despite attempts to update it, and people have issues sending large files to it, plus often it needs restarting or some TLC. While it still works, the accuracy is vague. The bed size is 600x400.
As one of the most used tools in the space and a key driver and maintainer of members, the laser cutter is a staple of any hackerspace.
We propose upgrading the laser cutter with a secondhand one, which is much larger, and with better hardware and software.
The benefits we see:
- 1000x600 ~1300 X 900~ bed - this will enable much larger cuts
- Updated software - for £20 we can get an unlimited license for the space and its members for Lightburn software. This will make it much easier to send files to the laser.
- Huge selling point - this is likely to drive a lot of interest in the space as it increases the tools it has for larger builds, and fabrication which isn’t possible with smaller tools
- Redundancy - we can keep or sell the old laser - if we keep it, it won’t take up too much room by the side of the stage and will provide a backup. If we sell it, we have a more maintainable machine anyway.
- ITS EXCITING - so often these documents things tend to be emotionless, but the fact is the laser team is really excited by this. It’s a step change for the offering of Visual Arts
- Members will be retrained if needed and new members will get new training on how to use the new tool
My proposal is that the space purchases the tool, and then the laser team gets a pledge drive to offset the cost to the space, with the incentive that for every £10 donated, 10mins of laser time is added to your account.
This drives engagement as well as getting the laser some good first use to iron out any kinks. Given laser time is priced to factor in any upgrades needed, the space won’t lose out on this offer.
Laser team will do a switcheroo on or near the delivery day
Up to list price + 20USD for lightburn license
Fully or part funded by Hackspace and Pledge-drive
Health & Safety
Broadly the same H&S as the current laser but a full review will be taken of any notable changes. This will be added to the training.
Micro Proposal <£50 - 2 Board Members and 2 Members
Small Proposal < £150 - 2 Board Members and 5 Members
Medium Proposal < £500 - Majority of Board Members and 10 general members
Large Proposal > £500 - consult the board before gathering membership support, a strict board majority must be achieved. Large proposals can only be approved at members meetings with majority support from the members present. Proxy votes can be used.
Supporting Board Members:
Supporting Members: (delete number as appropriate)