The open evening on Wednesday was a bit hectic, the doorbell was going off every 5 minutes. Though I don’t think they’re normally as busy, I’m wondering whether we could lighten the load on our members who attend on Wednesday by advertising the tours of the space as happening at half past each hour.
- Means there are only 3ish tours a night - 18:30, 19:30 and 20:30.
- Only requires 3 slots of members time.
- Makes it less intimidating to prospective members by having a defined time for them to arrive.
- (Down the line…) Could advertise on Eventbright with ‘Free tour tickets’ which could give us a better idea of how many people were going to show up. Would also be another place to market the space.
- Makes it easier to create a voluntary tour guide timetable, so we know who might be around to show people around.
- Prospective members might have to wait in plant space for a short while until the tour starts.
- Some prospective members will show up late, potentially missing bits of the tour.
- There might be some confusion for the first few months while people who enquired a while ago were told show up whenever.
In the longer term, I would like to see us move towards having an open evening every other week (say 1st and 3rd wednesdays) and then a general induction on the other week (say 2nd and 4th wednesdays).
This would not need much more membership time, but would mean the tour could be more efficient, and then on the general inductions we can go more in depth about bins, fire, storage, cleaning, inductions, etc. All the stuff people just looking around the first time aren’t that interested in. Members could then collect a fob after the general induction.
Personally I can’t actually attend on wednesdays that much to give tours so the former bit doesn’t affect me that much, but I am the one who answers a lot of prospective member emails/messages and so am the one telling everyone to come down on a wednesdays.
Please do let me know your thoughts, particularly if you do come to the open evenings!