Hey All. Member’s storage is a disaster, and has been for too long, so we are looking at putting proper rules in place regarding how this area should work, and actually enforcing them.
The current proposed ruleset is as follows. Any comments gratefully received:
The Project storage area is an area of the space for use by members only, and is intended for storing projects you are currently working on, along with raw materials. We have limited space, so carefully consider if something needs to be in the space before storing it there.
- Each member is entitled to either a cube or half a shelf of storage in the project storage area.
- You should use a box to stop your items falling out of your storage space and getting lost.
- Your box must be clearly labelled with your full name or a unique nickname.
- If you use a box make sure to label both ends.
Stored Items Disposal
- Any unlabelled items in project storage may be put into the three-week boxes, starting in the “Box Of Shame”. Ideally the membership should be informed via the forum when this happens, and a photo should be supplied.
- Any oversized items in project storage may be moved to large project storage.
- Unlabelled large items in project storage or large project storage may be moved directly to the ‘free stuff’ area, and may just vanish without warning!
- Items in large project storage with an expired “Do Not Hack” label may be moved directly to the ‘free stuff’ area, and may just vanish without warning!
- Occasional sweeps of members storage boxes will be performed for former member’s boxes. Anything found that belongs to a person whose membership has ended more than a week beforehand will be put into the three-week boxes, and their box reclaimed for general use.
- 64L Really useful boxes fit exactly on half a blue shelf
- The VUB30 from http://www.bigdug.co.uk/storage-boxes-containers-c363/value-plastic-storage-boxes-c98/wham-economy-plastic-boxes-with-clipon-lids-p1452 fits well in a storage cube (the space may stock these for sale to members at ~£5 each)
- If you’re going to take up a lot of space with a project you should ask on the forum to get consensus from the membership for permission to store your items.
- Oversized items should be stored in the large project storage area in the outer corridor.
- Oversized items need to be clearly labelled with a Do Not Hack sticker and your name / unique nickname, and an estimated finish date. If you are going to overshoot this finish date, replace the Do Not Hack sticker with an updated estimate.
Things you SHOULD NOT store in the hackspace
- Dangerous / Flammable Chemicals.
- Lithium batteries must be in a safe charging-bag Lithium charging bags are cheap. http://bit.ly/1H9qTq9