Hello lovely members and forum readers, it’s time for another Hack-the-Space Day!
As part of our commitment to have more frequent Hack-the-space days, we’ll be hosting another on Saturday 2nd of December, with some rollover onto Sunday 3rd for any outstanding tasks.
There’s a list below of tasks, but by all means, feel free to begin them before the day. Funding is available through the usual purchase proposal system.
Big thanks to everyone who’s helped compile the to-do list so far - If you’d like anything added to the list below of tasks to tackle, comment on this post and I’ll add them.
If you’re keen to lead one of the items below, let me know! – looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday the 2nd!
What is a Hack the Space Day
It’s a day where members come together to improve the space and meet other folks. This could be by fixing, building, cleaning, or generally improving the unit. We plan what needs to be done beforehand (see below) and there is usually one or two people on the day assigning jobs.
What do I need to do
Turn up on the day with a can-do attitude and a decent breakfast inside you. If there are particular jobs you’d like to do, you can discuss in this thread.
Do I really have to come in for a whole day
No. Even a couple of hours is really helpful. We’ll likely be working from 0900ish until the evening with some possible spillover into Sunday.
Will there be perks
As well as the warm and fuzzy feeling you’ll get from making the Hackspace a better place, there will be pizza provided at lunchtime for those helping out and food/drinks later on. It’s also a great opportunity to meet other makers.
Tip drivers wanted
HTS days typically generate a lot of rubbish. If anyone is prepared to do a few runs to the tip in their car or van, that would be really useful.
To-do list (work in progress)
Suggest items in the discussion and they can be added in.
- Check we have all the supplies we need
- Order the Axminster Air filter
- Restock of cleaning supplies
- Colour-coded tape for tools
- Re-hang the double doors to Parkspace
- Install door closers on the doors to Parkspace
- Cleaning station v2.0 & cleaning boards (@jasmine)
- Rejig notice the board/ update the notice board and whiteboard (@jasmine)
- Tidy and sort tooling in the main room
- Potentially set up the drafting table
- Laser stock storage
- Fit the Axminster Air filter
- Health check of all hand tools
- Move pillar drill and modify bench to suit pallet truck
- Build a standalone sander bench
- Make three shadow boards for Woody (Proposal here)
- Add tape to tools
- Make racks for new clamps
- Continuation of getting the welding/fabrication room tidy and ready
- Make a rack for G-clamps
- Set up new bandsaw
- Move the right side cube shelf from woody to metal and modify it to take metal scrap
- Fix belt tensioning mechanism on the yellow pillar drill
- Potentially selling the old bandsaw (if the new one gets set up)
@Percy42 has volunteered to lead this.
- Tidy up & Clean Shelves
- Price up stocked components
- Type up a price list, stick a copy up and give/email @rjackson a second copy to add to the tuckshop till system.
- Put overly specific bike components in a bag to be taken to a charity cycle shop.
- Create bicycle stand holders so they aren’t cluttering the floor (strong rawl plugs needed)
- Figure out if we’re missing anything/need to replace any tools. Put together a purchase proposal for this.
- Give the Hackspace Bike a service
- Put a sign into the middle of the frame saying something like ‘Hackspace Bicycle’
- Audit large project storage and remove offending projects
- Declutter regular members’ storage area
- Fixing drawers under the stage so they slide easily
- Sort through unlabelled boxes in the space, checking if the space needs the items, and labeling the box if so. Not for personal objects, but more for random boxes of wires, etc.
- Fix (or form a plan to), bin, or sell broken things.
- Installation of kitchen cupboards above the sink/hot drinks area
- Installation of coathangers