Super challenge from FutureEverything!

Hi Guys

Some artists (sosolimited) are running an election project as part of
FutureEverything (this: http://www.futureeverything.org/festival2010/sosolimited
) . However, they have a technical problem - they need to capture
subtitles live and serve the text extracted from them through a port
to PD or MaxMSP, which their visualisation system is built in.

I’ve found a system which will extract page 888 subtitles from a live
DVB stream ( http://www.linuxowl.com/vbi2srt.html ) - but is anyone up
for assembling the code for to capture and serve it out live? Needs to
be finished in the next week and fully operational. Language and
platform don’t matter, as long as it spews captured subtitles in
realtime over a socket on the local network. FutureEverything have
offered a small fee for completing the task, which will maybe buy in
some tools or a stack of arduinos? Also, fame, glory, and a chance to
get involved in a relevant and timely project with some interesting
artists from the states.

Let me know your thoughts ASAP!

Cheers

Dave / MadLab

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “HACMan” group.

I’ve played around with DVB in the past so I’ll have a go at outlining
the technical aspect and how to approach for anyone wanting to
participate.
This is all from memory so correct me if I’m wrong.

Unfortunately I don’t think that utility will do the trick. Certainly
not from a DVB-T stream as teletext data has never been transmitted on
that platform so you’ll only get that stream from a DVB-S satellite
channel and I’m unsure which (if any) channel(s) would be broadcasting
that.

The right approach would be to capture the subtitles right from the the
transport stream. In a transport stream, the various encoded video,
audio and data streams are multiplexed then broadcast together. Under
linux it is simple to tune a DVB card to a particular frequency and
demultiplex out the subtitle stream (I’m pretty sure has it’s own PID in
the transport stream) and decode this to a text stream that can be sent
to a socket on the network.

All the tools exist to do this as a single-line command piping the
outputs to each other and ultimately to something like netcat to send
over the network.

Something like:
tuner | demux | decoder | netcat

For satellite streams, details can be found at:
http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

They only list the audio and video PIDs however so it may be the
subtitles are within the video stream.

I have both DVB-S and DVB-T PCI cards (and even a portable briefcase
satellite dish!) but the desktop PC in the basement has either a dead
motherboard or dead graphics card so unfortunately I don’t currently
have a way to test this.

Guy.On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 15:05 -0700, Dave Mee wrote:

[...]

Hey Guy,

Do you want to have a go at hacking this system together on saturday? I
dont think theres anything on at the madlab, so we can use the bottom floor
and one of the undead hoard (as i believe we’re calling the PCs we fixed up)
.

http://www.satbeams.com/channels?norad=26638

[...]

"HACMan" group.
hacman+unsubscribe@googlegroups.comhacman%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “HACMan” group.

Ok, with a little more research turns out that the subtitles stream is
graphical not text. Barring some clever OCRness a suitable channel that
broadcasts a live teletext stream containing subtitles would need to be
found.

Guy.On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 10:00 +0100, Guy Thouret wrote:

[...]

Groups “HACMan” group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to hacman
+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “HACMan” group.

Hi

This is all beyond my knowledge, so I don’t know if this is useful, but I’ve seen it mentioned that this can extract subtitles:
http://project-x.sourceforge.net/

See here:

-PaulSubject: Re: [HACMan] Super challenge from FutureEverything!
From: guy@thouret.co.uk
To: hacman@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:10:50 +0100

Ok, with a little more research turns out that the subtitles stream is graphical not text. Barring some clever OCRness a suitable channel that broadcasts a live teletext stream containing subtitles would need to be found.

Guy.

Can’t this weekend I’m afraid, I have other commitments. I’ll bring the
kit along some time in the future though as it’s fun to hack on!

    --

Groups “HACMan” group.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to hacman
+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/hacman?hl=en-GB.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “HACMan” group.

Thanks for chipping in everyone - the pressure’s off as they’re hiring
a stegosaurus to do the typing, though Julian tells me there’s still a
bounty around if some teletextual extraction framework happens.

Sosolimited are showing on the 29th as the People’s History Museum -
they’re deconstructing and revisualising the final election debates
live, and you can get a free ticket http://www.futureeverything.org/festival2010/sosolimited

  • but hurry if you want one, as number are limited, and dwindling!

They’re also holding a Q&A session at the MadLab on the 30th, from 4pm
onwards, so if anyone wants to drop by - just drop by! Should be quite
insightful.

Cheers