Following some damage done to tools in the space (e.g. the table saw) we now have plug locks instated on some of the most dangerous, delicate, expensive or regularly misused tools. The plug lock is secured with a combination padlock, the code for each tool is listed on the membership system only visible to trained members.
Get the code for the padlock
It’s listed on the equipment page under “Induction”. Here’s a dummy example for a tool that doesn’t have a code lock:
If you have been trained but the system hasn’t been updated, shout out on Telegram or email board @ hacman .org.uk with who trained you. Someone will investigate and update records if required.
Remove plug lock and start using tool. Plug lock is secured to the cable with cable ties so it won’t fall off.
Return plug lock to the plug, padlock it, and reset numbers to 000
- Visit the equipment list at members.hacman.org.uk/equipment
- Request an induction
- Note any instructions on how to request an induction - it may require organising with someone, getting on Moodle, or joining a Telegram group
You will then either:
- Do the training
- Demonstrate to the trainer or board that you know how to use the equipment - e.g. if you use a table saw for work and can demonstrate you know how to use it safely then you can be marked as inducted without a formal session.
- You must replace the plug lock and padlock after use
- You can make a note of the code for each tool for quick reference, but keep it private.
- Do check the membership system if the code doesn’t work - it may have been updated.
- Do shout out if the code has been released and the tool is being used by someone not trained. Someone can then reset the code.
- Do not tell others the code even if they claim to be inducted. It’s vital they are marked as inducted on the membership system as that’s where the audit log is and protects the space in the event of an accident. The only people who can mark someone as inducted are admins (e.g. board members) or trusted members (who are typically on subcommittees). shout out on Telegram or email board @ hacman .org.uk if you are not marked as trained when you are, with who trained you.
- Do not circumvent, or try to circumvent the plug locks. It isn’t impossible to force them open or cut them off but doing so is a direct violation of the H&S policy as you’re removing the one protection to keep people safe. Guessing the code counts too - if you don’t know the code it’s because you’re not inducted. Even if you’re super confident you know how to use the tool, you must get marked as inducted on the membership system first.
- Do not change the code.
I’ve made some posters in the space so you don’t need to remember everything. It has the basic information and a QR code for quick access to get the code.