Date: Wednesday, 8th February 2023 at 19:30
Duration: We’ll aim for 1 hour
Location: Hackspace Manchester, Wellington House, M40 7FS
After the discussion of forming a Visual Arts team during the Members meeting - 11th January 2023 - 19:30, and earlier forum thread Visual Arts Team? Form yourselves here!, allow me to invite you all to the first Visual Arts meeting!
This is an open meeting for anybody to express thoughts and feedback on anything Visual Arts related. Ideally, we’ll take a number of actions from the meeting. At the very least, we’ll log outstanding thoughts & feedback to act upon in the future.
The purpose of a Visual Arts (VA) team
The Visual Arts corner of the Space is host to a wide variety of equipment, some of which has active maintenance and training teams (Laser, 3D, Sewing?) and some which does not (Sublimation & Heat Press, Large Format Printer, and some others). It also hosts a number of tools & consumables for general crafts and, well, visual art.
The VA team’s primary purpose is to look after the variety of equipment & tools that do not have active maintainers at the moment. That will involve general support & maintenance, as well as working with the Board on admin & documentation tasks to ensure safe operation of the Space overall.
Our secondary purpose will be managing the physical space, which we share with some of the specialist groups (Laser, 3D, sewing).
For those purposes, I’m hoping to have a diverse range of skillsets represented either within the VA team or within the VA meetings. For example, I don’t know much about painting, but it would be useful to have input from somebody who does – so we know what type of tools & equipment would be useful for that specialty.
- VA admin
- Purpose of VA team: Q & A / seeking feedback on the above
- Scope of meetings
- Meeting frequency
- Equipment & tools audit
- Following this, putting together usage & maintenance guides?
- Arrival of Purchase Proposal Development - Laser Cutter Extreme!?
- Commissioning the Singer 95K40 sewing machine
- Large Format Printer reliability issues
- Fumes & ventilation
- Possible sources: Resin printer, heat press, screen printing, solvents / general chemical usage
- Risk assessments to review / update?
- Ventilation options?
- Physical layout & organisation
- There’s been chatter about 3D printers moving? Is that happening? Who is owning it (us or 3d?)
- Any other business / open discussion
Feel free to propose any additional agenda items in the comments below, or – time permitting – bring them up when we get to “Any other business” in the meeting